The area of health psychology maintains the basic principle that the mind has a central impact on the body’s health. Specifically, our thoughts and emotions are directly connected to our body’s nervous and immune systems.
That means we need to pay close attention to the emotional-psychological components of health to improve recovery from illness and also to prevent health problems. There is tremendous scientific literature now supporting the mind-body-spirit connection. The physiological, epidemiological and clinical research all point to that conclusion. Health psychology is not so much an alternative approach, as a complementary one. It is perfectly compatible with standard medical treatment and can be a powerful way of augmenting it, neither challenging it or replacing it.
Generally, the treatment follows a cognitive-behavioural approach and is of short-term duration. The individual seeking help becomes an active participant in the therapeutic process and often will have ‘homework assignments’ between sessions to facilitate progress. Each therapy is molded around the needs of the client and works to favour optimum health.
- Educating the individual on the general role of stress, emotions and mental processes on one’s physical health and behavior.
- Bringing awareness to the contributing factors of one’s health condition.
- Providing a sense of hope and mastery over the health condition.
- Teaching practical and powerful coping skills to deal with stress.
- Introducing the restorative and healing effects of the Relaxation response by teaching relaxation and or meditation skills.
- Creating a sense of purpose and passion in life.
- Empowering the individual to take responsibility for his/her health and life.
- Training the unconscious to effect changes in one’s thoughts, emotions and overall health.
- Transforming unconscious patterns that maintain problematic behaviors.
- Provide tools and suggestions that would support a heathy lifestyle.
The goal is to promote and improve the emotional health of an individual by means of the application of recent scientific advances in the fields of health psychology, behavioural medicine, psychoneuroimmunology, and integrative medicine. It is hoped that via this approach, the individual seeks the necessary tools to empower them to take charge of their health and lives.
Stephane Bensoussan specializes in helping individuals affected by the following health conditions:
- Anxiety Disorders (panic, generalized anxiety, disorder, stress)
- Adjustment to Health Conditions
- Mood Disorders (depression, dysthymia, bilpolar disorder)
- Eating Disorders (anorexia, bulimia, pica)
- Cancer (all types)
- Digestive disorders (ulcers, celiac, leaky gut)
- Gastro-intestinal conditions (IBS, crohn’s, ulcerative colitis, etc.)
“Many of my clients have greatly benefited from Stéphane’s alternative, holistic and educational approach as a clinical health psychologist.”
“I went from a stressed and insecure person to a much calmer person who now knows that I can stand up for myself. My life has been totally changed.”
“I can honestly say that 90% of my inner turmoil does not exist any more thanks to Stéphane’s help.”
“In the past I was just going through life, now I am living my life.”
“The difference between Stéphane Bensoussan and all the other therapists that I had called is that he uses not only his knowledge but he also uses his heart. And he truly cares.”